- Acne can occur from infancy through adulthood, and is certainly not only a teenage concern.
The most up to date understanding of acne is that it is primarily an inflammatory condition. Hormonal changes can play a prominent role in the type of oil produced by the skin, dead skin cells and bacteria can accumulate in the oil inside the pores, and the body can then direct inflammation towards the oil glands.
- Inflammation can damage the skin’s collagen, resulting in scarring, or can cause persistent pigmentation or redness in areas of prior breakouts.
- Dr. Sherber customizes ever patient’s acne treatment regimen.
Daily Skincare is very important in managing acne. Topical anti-inflammatories such as polyphenol antioxidants are effective in calming inflammation, while exfoliants containing salicylic acid are excellent in unclogging pores.
- Prescription approaches may range from short-contact masks to overnight treatments, and offer more potent formulations than over-the-counter skincare.
- For certain patients, hormonal testing may be indicated so that root causes of acne can be addressed.
- For those who are experiencing acne scarring or treatment-resistant breakouts, Dr. Sherber is experienced in structuring low-dose weight-based Accutane regimens to change the behavior of the oil glands permanently and cure the acne definitively.
In-office Vivité Peels can accelerate results from topical treatments, and laser treatments such as Perméa or Laser Genesis can fade marks left behind from prior acne.