- Redness of the skin is best treated with an optimally targeted vascular laser that treats dilated blood vessels on the face and body with maximal comfort and efficacy.
- Cutera’s Nd:YAG lasers have a patented PowerFlex technology provides fast treatments with the highest degree of efficacy.
- With its microsecond settings, Laser Genesis targets the microvasculature that causes flushing, and is the only laser treatment available that works in this way.
- Clinical data on this laser demonstrate heating of the collagen layer of the skin (dermis) that triggers collagen production to improve the appearance of wrinkles and help to make skin more dense and firm. It is FDA cleared for the treatment of wrinkles, including those around the eyes that can be difficult to treat.
- Improvements in redness and smoothing effects emerge over several weeks, and a series of treatments is advised for optimal results.
- This type of treatment is mainly a ‘winter sport,’ as it’s important that skin isn’t tanned prior to treatment and that it remain protected from sun exposure post-treatment. For areas that are prone to flushing, the Nd:YAG laser can be used in a micropulsed mode called Laser Genesis.
- This is an excellent treatment to calm the symptoms of rosacea, particularly in combination with at-home skincare.
Laser Genesis can improve the redness and the contour of scars without pain or downtime. Several treatments are needed and results are optimized when treatment is begun within weeks of the surgery or injury that resulted in the scar.
- This treatment is gentle enough for even the most sensitive skin, is excellent for rosacea and for pink marks left behind from acne, and is safe on any skin tone.
For men with dense dark facial hair, treatment in hair-bearing areas may be limited even after the hair is freshly shaved. Dr. Sherber will perform a test spot if needed to ensure that the area to be treated can be treated safely.
Preparing for Treatment
- Do not plan intense sun exposure in the days before or after treatment.
- Do not use self-tanners in the week preceding treatment.
What to Expect
- Numbing cream generally isn’t needed before treatment, and makeup can be applied immediately afterwards to treated areas.
- Some larger vessels may look purplish for several days, and some treated areas may have faint surrounding redness as the body works to resorb them.
- This is a no-downtime treatment as the skin will look flushed post treatment but will look normal within several hours and will have a luminous appearance by the next day.
- Since the results take several weeks to emerge, treatments should be spaced a month apart.
- Dr. Sherber prefers Nd:YAG to IPL for treating redness as it is more targeted and causes less inflammation to the skin, which translates to better results with less downtime.
- Anti-inflammatory ingredients in topical products, such as polyphenols and other potent antioxidants, can help to reduce reactive redness in the skin.