Overview of Scarless Deep Facial Sculpting in Washington DC
Over time, we all start showing the early signs of facial aging in the form of the loose neck skin, jowls and deeper smile lines (nasolabial folds), as well as disappearing jawline and neckline. Sometimes vertical neck bands reminiscent of a “turkey wattle” begins to develop. Usually this begins to be noticeable in the mid thirties to forties, depending on your genetics and skincare habits. Non-invasive skin tightening approaches can offer improvements but Dr. Rad’s patients desire complete correction of these early signs so they look their best and appear as if not to age.
Most plastic surgeons, particularly those with less experience, will use a “cookie cutter” approach and choose the traditional facelift procedure regardless of the patient’s anatomy. However, in younger patients this may be overly aggressive and invasive when a more nuanced, targeted approach can effectively correct the subtle and early signs of aging while minimizing scarring, downtime and risk of looking “done.” Furthermore, in inexperienced hands, traditional skin-only facelifting can lead to visible, unsightly scars and distortion of the ears as well as hairline and sideburn displacement, all unwanted results that are difficult to reverse. Therefore, it’s crucial to be in the right hands from the start, and Dr. Rad, a Board certified plastic surgeon and face cosmetic surgery specialist, tailors his approach to patients’ unique anatomy to achieve refreshed and revitalized appearances without the “overkill” facelifts that most surgeons propose.
What is a Mini-Face Lift
The Mini Face Lift in Washington, D.C. is a minimally invasive technique with hidden incisions which Dr. Rad utilizes in his younger patients who wish to reverse early signs of aging to maintain a fresh appearance. It is intended for patients who require subtle areas of correction rather than total overhauls. For example it may be needed to target downturned corners of the mouth, marionette lines, small jowls, or mild deflation in the cheeks. Dr. Rad taillors his approach to each patient’s unique anatomy to achieve natural, believable results without the evidence of facelifting.
How Is A Mini-Face Lift Done?
Dr. Rad’s top priorities are your safety and comfort and he guides each patient step by step through the following process.
1. Since mini-facelift in Washington, D.C. is designed to be done in-office under local anesthetic, the initial safety steps focus on identifying any risk factors: have you had allergic reaction to anesthetics such as at the dentist or during minor surgical procedures? Are you comfortable with the idea of being awake? Reviewing your medical history and preparing in advance are key to safe outcomes.
2. Once you are deemed appropriate to undergo mini-facelift, Dr. Rad ensures your comfort with topical anesthetic to provide surface numbing, followed by injected numbing medicine. This is very effective and patients feel no pain once numbing has taken effect. Some patients may benefit from oral pain medicine and relaxing medicine to help take the edge off.
3. Dr. Rad makes very precise incisions along natural contours in front and behind the ears, so they are hidden from view. Through these incisions Dr. Rad elevates the skin within the subcutaneous fat plane in order to expose the muscle layer, the SMAS.
4. Dr. Rad then releases strong attachments, called osteocutaneous ligaments, that restrain sagging tissues. Once these are released, Dr. Rad then tightens the deeper muscles using either plication (folding) or suspension of a “flap”. These techniques are both safe and effective in Dr. Rad’s experienced hands.
5. After underlying facial tissues are restored to a lifted position, excess skin is removed and the incisions closed in a tension-less manner.
6. A light dressing is applied after which you can return home, driven by a friend or family member. The procedure is performed on an out-patient basis in almost all cases.