JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC
- Volbella is a hyaluronic acid filler that gained FDA approval in 2016 for lip augmentation and treatment of perioral lines.
- It has a silky texture that gives a marshmallowy soft result when adding volume to the lips or when restoring lip fullness lost with age.
- As compared to treatment with prior fillers, this gives a longer-lasting result owing to the Vycross technology with multiple molecular weights of hyaluronic acid, and does not create as much swelling as Juvéderm.
- It is a good choice for those who are looking for a subtle treatment, since it is packaged in a 0.55cc syringe size (as compared to other fillers which are in a 1cc size).
- It is premixed with lidocaine anesthetic for the most comfortable treatment.
- Dr. Sherber was chosen by Allergan as one of the first physicians in the country to inject Volbella in advance of it being available for purchase, so she has strong experience with this treatment.
- When patients say that they are “overlining” their lips and want to return to the lip shape they had when they were younger or to augment their lip shape to achieve this look without makeup, Dr. Sherber will inject delicate threads of Volbella to support the border of the lip and to add fullness to the body of the lip so that it looks naturally plump and softly defined.
BRILLIANT DISTINCTIONS PROGRAM
- Dr. Sherber participates in Allergan’s Brilliant Distinctions rewards program for her patients, and points are awarded for and may be redeemed for this treatment.
- This injectable dermal filler is made of cross-linked hyaluronic acid, a glycosaminoglycan that is made naturally by our skin to help it hold onto water and keep skin firm and hydrated. As such, there is minimal potential for allergy with this family of products. They can also be dissolved with an injected enzyme, hyaluronidase.
PREPARING FOR TREATMENT
- For the 2 weeks prior to any injectable treatment we ask that you discontinue any NSAIDs such as Aleve, Advil, or Aspirin (unless medically necessary), as well as any supplements containing fish oil, omega 3 fatty acids, gingko, or ginger, in order to minimize the risk of bruising.
- You are welcome to take Tylenol for minor discomforts rather than an NSAID.
- If you have a history of herpes simplex cold sores, and if the filler is used near your mouth, we may prescribe an antiviral to take as an adjunct to treatment to prevent an outbreak.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- For optimal comfort, we apply numbing cream for 20 minutes before treatment. Immediately pre-treatment, the area to be injected is prepped with an ice roller to provide additional numbing and to constrict the blood vessels in order to minimize the chance of bruising.
- Swelling is expected post-treatment, and is more pronounced if the lips or corners of the mouth are treated, as these are very vascular areas.
- The swelling does have the benefit of stretching the fibroblasts (collagen producing cells) in the area of treatment, which triggers collagen production.
- For those who want a more dramatic lip augmentation, Dr. Sherber recommends Juvederm Ultra XC.
- As a thicker filler, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is an excellent filler for the Cheeks, Nasolabial Folds, Temples and Jawline.
- Cross-linking gives Voluma powerful long-lasting effects and is excellent for treating deep over areas of volume loss in the mid-face.
- As the thickest filler, Radiesse is an excellent alternative to volumize the cheeks, jawline, and temples and offers the best value per unit volume.
- As the thinnest filler, Belotero Balance is useful for revolumizing delicate areas such as the tear trough and under eye area to conceal bags, the upper eye socket hollows, and the lips.
- For long-lasting volume restoration of the face, Facial Fat Grafting is a powerful surgical technique that utilizes your own fat as a permanent filler. For maximum comfort, Dr. Rad performs this under light anesthesia. It is safe, involves minimal downtime and gives life-long results.