“Droopy Eyelid” (Ptosis) Repair in Washington DC
- As we age, the position of the upper eyelids gradually lower to the point of causing partial vision obstruction. This is caused by stretching of the thin muscle that holds the eyelids open.
- Droopy upper eyelid correction involves tightening the thin eyelid muscle layer with permanent sutures.
- Upper Blepharoplasty and Brow Lift may also be needed to remove hanging eyelid skin.
- There are no good non-surgical options for this condition.
How It’s Done
- Shortly after you drift off to sleep, Dr. Rad places an upper eyelid incision within the natural fold and fine permanent sutures are placed to tighten the weakened muscle.
- You are then awoken from anesthesia so that you can open your eyes – this does not involve any pain. Opening and closing your eyes allows Dr. Rad to assess the repair.
In Dr. Rad’s hands, upper eyelid surgery is safe, comfortable and involves very low risk.
Dr. Rad performs this under ‘twilight’ anesthesia (without a breathing tube) delivered by a board certified anesthesiologist in an accredited surgery center.
Preparing for Treatment
The following are needed prior to general anesthesia and surgery:
- Medical clearance by your Primary Care Physician and other specialists as needed.
- Ophthalmology clearance to ensure that there is no evidence of retinal disease or glaucoma.
What to Expect
- Surgery involves very little discomfort. Mild bruising and temporary swelling are normal and resolve quickly.
- Return to work or going to social outings 5 to 7 days after surgery is common.
BEFORE + AFTER
This 61 year old woman had visual obstruction from severely droopy eyelids. Surgical correction involves elevating the eyelid position and, when combined with a blepharoplasty, restores a bright and rested appearance. Dr. Rad performed Droopy Upper Eyelid Repair and Upper Blepharoplasty.
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.
What Patients Are Saying
“We consulted with three plastic surgeons before choosing Dr. Rad for my 17 year old son’s rhinoplasty and chin implant in March 2017. From the first meeting, we felt confident that Dr. Rad is a skilled, experienced and talented surgeon who pays attention to every detail. He is also a super guy – warm, caring, attentive and welcoming. Everything went smoothly and we are extremely happy with the results. We are very pleased with the whole experience and recommend him without hesitation.“
Esther Alpert | July 2017
“I would (and have) recommended Dr. Rad to my family and friends. Dr. Rad is extraordinarily talented. He is extremely professional, articulate and patient. He is singularly focused on ensuring the very best results for each of his clients. I put my trust and confidence into Dr. Rad and his interactions with me and the results of my surgery greatly exceeded my expectations.”
Lisa Kay in Arlington, VA | May 18, 2017
“I am so grateful I chose Dr. Rad to perform my surgery. From the moment I walked in, I felt at ease & comfortable. The office is very clean & creative. He took time to answer all my questions, I didn’t feel rushed as I did w/ other surgeons I met. His staff was prompt to respond & very friendly. Post surgery I called over a holiday weekend w/ a question & he called me back quickly. It has been an easy recovery & trust him fully. My scars are fading quick & it’s only been 5 weeks! He’s the best!”
Jennifer W in Germantown, MD | Jun 22, 2017
“Dr. Ariel Rad is the finest physician I’ve ever met! I’ve worked with Dr. Rad over the last five years and he encompasses everything you’d hope from a physician and much more. He possesses the highest intellect, expertise, sophistication, dedication, and compassion. I can’t say enough about Dr. Rad. Every appointment I’ve had with him has exceeded my expectations. He’s the absolute best! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Dr. Ariel Rad to my family and friends for medical care.”
KVR in Pennsylvania | Jan 10, 2017
“My goal was to be a refreshed, happy, more confident version of “me.” As I prepared for surgery I had no unanswered questions and was totally confident about Dr. Rad’s skill and judgment. Interactions with Dr. Rad and his team at the time of surgery and follow up were efficient, expert, and delivered with compassion and kindness. I recommend him without qualification.”
Cathy in Washington, DC | Dec 04, 2016
“Had a facelift with Dr. Rad. Not only did he do a magnificent job, but he was extraordinarily attentive and caring when I experienced an acute complication from surgery. He has an outstanding bedside manner. In his office, he never makes you feel rushed. Explains everything carefully. And is all around extremely kind and very talented. I have referred several people to him.”