Open Neck Lift in Washington DC
- “The face tells a lie whereas the neck tells the truth” – Nora Ephron (author, When Harry Met Sally)
- The neck often shows the first signs of aging: loose neck skin, wrinkling and creasing, and muscle bands.
- Neck lift surgery is the gold standard for restoring a lifted and angled neck contour, particularly with non-invasive devices have failed.
- The degree of skin looseness determines whether a “closed” (minimal incisions) or “open” (visible, but well placed, scar) approach is needed.
- Open neck lift is necessary when neck skin is moderately to severely loose and elasticity has been lost.
- ‘Open’ refers to the fact that a visible (albeit well disguised) scar behind, and sometimes in front of, the ears is needed in order to remove excess neck skin.
- Closed Neck Lift is ideal when the looseness of skin mild and/or there is a lot of fatty tissue, or if there is an existing neck scar that can be used for access.
- There is no good non-surgical option to improve very loose neck skin.
How It’s Done
- Dr. Rad uses liposuction to de-fat the neck tissues and to define the plane.
- Dr. Rad then places the scar around the ear, separates the neck skin from the underlying muscle (platysma) layer and then lifts the neck muscle with permanent sutures anchored to the strong tissues behind the ear. Excess skin is removed and incisions closed.
- This is one of the most gratifying procedures for Dr. Rad’s patients as it results in beautiful contours reliably and with longevity.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands, this is a very safe procedure. Risks are minimal and not dangerous.
- Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery only in an accredited surgery center or hospital operating facility.
- Medical clearance by your Primary Care Physician is required prior to surgery.
- Accompaniment by a family member or friend for 48 hours after surgery is required.
- Dr. Rad does not accept patients seeking an extreme makeover or the looks of another person
What to Expect
- Pain is rare. The most common sensation is temporary neck tightness.
- Bruising and swelling are normal and resolve over 7 to 10 days.
- Return to work or going to social outings 2 weeks after surgery is common.
BEFORE + AFTER
Open neck lift is the treatment of choice for severe neck tissue laxity. Dr. Rad suspends the muscle layer for beautiful and permanent neck contouring, and he places the scar behind the ear where it is most hidden.
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.
What Patients Are Saying
“We consulted with three plastic surgeons before choosing Dr. Rad for my 17 year old son’s rhinoplasty and chin implant in March 2017. From the first meeting, we felt confident that Dr. Rad is a skilled, experienced and talented surgeon who pays attention to every detail. He is also a super guy – warm, caring, attentive and welcoming. Everything went smoothly and we are extremely happy with the results. We are very pleased with the whole experience and recommend him without hesitation.“
Esther Alpert | July 2017
“I would (and have) recommended Dr. Rad to my family and friends. Dr. Rad is extraordinarily talented. He is extremely professional, articulate and patient. He is singularly focused on ensuring the very best results for each of his clients. I put my trust and confidence into Dr. Rad and his interactions with me and the results of my surgery greatly exceeded my expectations.”
Lisa Kay in Arlington, VA | May 18, 2017
“I am so grateful I chose Dr. Rad to perform my surgery. From the moment I walked in, I felt at ease & comfortable. The office is very clean & creative. He took time to answer all my questions, I didn’t feel rushed as I did w/ other surgeons I met. His staff was prompt to respond & very friendly. Post surgery I called over a holiday weekend w/ a question & he called me back quickly. It has been an easy recovery & trust him fully. My scars are fading quick & it’s only been 5 weeks! He’s the best!”
Jennifer W in Germantown, MD | Jun 22, 2017
“Dr. Ariel Rad is the finest physician I’ve ever met! I’ve worked with Dr. Rad over the last five years and he encompasses everything you’d hope from a physician and much more. He possesses the highest intellect, sophistication, dedication, and compassion. I can’t say enough about Dr. Rad. Every appointment I’ve had with him has exceeded my expectations. He’s the absolute best! I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Dr. Ariel Rad to my family and friends for medical care.”
KVR in Pennsylvania | Jan 10, 2017
“My goal was to be a refreshed, happy, more confident version of “me.” As I prepared for surgery I had no unanswered questions and was totally confident about Dr. Rad’s skill and judgment. Interactions with Dr. Rad and his team at the time of surgery and follow up were efficient, and delivered with compassion and kindness. I recommend him without qualification.”
Cathy in Washington, DC | Dec 04, 2016
“Had a facelift with Dr. Rad. Not only did he do a magnificent job, but he was extraordinarily attentive and caring when I experienced an acute complication from surgery. He has an outstanding bedside manner. In his office, he never makes you feel rushed. Explains everything carefully. And is all around extremely kind and very talented. I have referred several people to him.”