This is a calcium hydroxylapatite injectable dermal filler, and has the texture of a thin toothpaste. It may stimulate the most collagen production out of the injectable dermal fillers, and is best suited for deep placement over the Cheekbones, Jawline + Temples.
- RadiesseTM has recently gained FDA approval for hand rejuvenation, as well, and can restore density to thinning skin on the back of the hands.
- Dr. Sherber recommends this filler for certain patients who require deep revolumization and want their treatment to have the longest duration and most collagen stimulatory benefits.
For men with thick skin who don’t see sufficient lift with hyaluronic acid fillers, Radiesse can be a good next step for defining the Jawline or Cheekbones.
RadiesseTM has a minimal potential for allergy unless a patient has a known hypersensitivity to any of its components.
- It is visible on X-rays and CT scans, so patients should be aware of this prior to treatment.
Rarely, a patient’s skin can direct inflammation towards the RadiesseTM and cause it to form small bumps – this can be treated with a steroid injection into the bump if it occurs.
In Dr. Sherber’s experience, this is more likely with repeated treatments and so for patients who want RadiesseTM she prefers to alternate treatments with VolumaTM to minimize the chance of nodule formation.
Preparing for Treatment
- For the 2 weeks prior to any injectable treatment we ask that you discontinue any NSAIDs such as Aleve, Advil, or Aspirin (unless medically necessary), as well as any supplements containing fish oil, omega 3 fatty acids, gingko, or ginger, in order to minimize the risk of bruising.
- You are welcome to take Tylenol for minor discomforts rather than an NSAID.
- If you have a history of herpes simplex cold sores, and if the filler is used near your mouth, we may prescribe an antiviral to take as an adjunct to treatment to prevent an outbreak.
What to Expect
For optimal comfort, we apply numbing cream for 20 minutes before treatment. Immediately pre-treatment, the area to be injected is prepped with an ice roller to provide additional numbing and to constrict the blood vessels in order to minimize the chance of bruising.
- Dr. Sherber often mixes this with lidocaine to make the texture more smooth and to optimize the comfort of the treatment.
- Because this is a thicker filler, redness and swelling can be more pronounced post-treatment.
- The swelling does have the benefit of stretching the fibroblasts (collagen producing cells) in the area of treatment, which triggers collagen production.
- JuvédermTM Ultra XC is an excellent “all around” filler to volumize the Lips, Under-Eyes and Tear Trough, Cheeks, Nasolabial Folds, Temples and Jawline.
As a thicker filler, Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is an excellent filler for the Cheeks, Nasolabial Folds,Temples and Jawline.
As the thinnest filler, Belotero BalanceTM is useful for revolumizing delicate areas such as the tear trough and under eye area to conceal bags, the upper eye socket hollows, and the lips.
Cross-linking gives VolumaTM powerful long-lasting effects and is excellent for treating deep over areas of volume loss in the mid-face.
For long-lasting volume restoration of the face, Facial Fat Grafting is a powerful surgical technique that utilizes your own fat as a permanent filler. For maximum comfort, Dr. Rad performs this under light anesthesia. It is safe, involves minimal downtime and gives life-long results.