Double Love Handle in Washington DC
Also Serving Mclean, Alexandria, Loudoun County and Arlington
- Dr. Rad utilizes the LSGAP to reconstruct an entire breast for patients who do not have enough abdominal tissue for the DIEP Flap.
Dr. Rad is one of only 30 surgeons worldwide who has the technical experience to perform this flap routinely and safely. Patients for whom traditional reconstructive procedures have failed seek out Dr. Rad’s microvascular experience.
- The optimal candidate for the LSGAP Flap is one for whom:
- the love handle region has plentiful fat whereas the abdominal region has a paucity of fat
- breast radiation precludes implant reconstruction
- Implant Reconstruction is the most popular option owing to its simplicity; however, implant reconstruction is not a good option in the setting of prior breast radiation.
DIEP Flap Reconstruction is the gold standard in tissue reconstruction for patients with adequate abdominal fat.
Dr. Rad In The News
- Watch Dr. Rad discuss Microsurgery and the LSGAP “Love Handle” Flap:
- Bilateral LSGAP flaps can be done in 1 stage with 2 experienced microsurgeons; however, because no other surgeon in the northern Virginia and Washington DC area is capable of performing the LSGAP, Dr. Rad completes bilateral reconstruction in 2 separate stages.
- Breast reconstruction is safe and is performed under general anesthesia and a short hospitalization is standard for most reconstructive procedures.
- Dr. Rad works with board certified anesthesiologists and performs surgery at Inova Fairfax Hospital.
BEFORE + AFTER
This 50 year old woman underwent a double mastectomy and staged reconstruction first with Tissue Expanders followed by double LSGAP flaps in Stage 2. Due to the extent of cancer she had to have her nipple removed with the mastectomy. Therefore in Stage 3 she underwent touch-up revisions including Nipple Reconstruction.
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.
What Patients Are Saying
“You rarely find a person who is extremely skilled and a perfectionist yet very modest, humble, sympathetic and warm hearted with a pleasant disposition. That is Dr. Rad! I was so fortunate to have found Dr. Rad, one of the very few in the country who can do Diep Flap reconstruction. Not only the reconstruction results are excellent, the pre-surgery and post-surgery care is comforting. He is always there when needed and explains every detail with lot of patience. Thank you, Dr. Rad!”
Kavitha D | Jun 16, 2017
“I had a double mastectomy at Johns Hopkins in September 2014. I decided to switch to Dr. Rad because my plastic surgeon had changed the plan from DEEP flap to implants. I saw Dr. Rad for a second opinion. He was very confident that I would be a good candidate for the DEEP flap. The surgery went well. He personally came to see me after the surgery, even on the weekend. Dr. Rad was very reassuring before and after the surgery, and my recovery went exactly as he predicted. I am very pleased with the results. In addition Dr. Rad is very personable and has a great sense of humor, which can be helpful in this kind of situation. His office staff is very responsive to phone calls and is always helpful. His office environment is very friendly.”
Olga | September 29, 2015
“Dr. Rad is a plastic surgeon who is also warm and caring. He took his time explaining the surgical procedure and expected outcomes. I was diagnosed with breast cancer which required a mastectomy. Dr. Rad explained all my options for reconstruction. I chose a DIEP Flap reconstruction. After awakening from surgery and viewing my new breast, I was able to exhale. My newly constructed breast matched my existing breast perfectly.”
Linda Carter in Olney, MD | Dec 17, 2016
“Dr. Rad performed my breast reconstruction with DIEP flap in 2011 after a double mastectomy. I have been absolutely thrilled with the results. He was able to do nipple and skin sparing and my breasts look great and feel very normal. I chose Dr. Rad as my plastic surgeon because he was the only one who was willing/able to do a double DIEP flap given that I am fairly thin. He stopped at nothing to get the best result possible. He has a phenomenal bedside manner and makes his patients feel totally comfortable and confident. I have recommended him without reservation to several friends for breast reconstruction and would go to him again if I needed or wanted plastic surgery.”