TDAP Flap in Washington DC
- Lumpectomy (also known as ‘partial mastectomy’) surgery without reconstruction can leave the breast distorted and deformed.
- The TDAP Flap is a unique operation in which Dr. Rad borrows skin and fat from the back and transfers it to a woman’s breast in order to reconstruct medium to large lumpectomy defects.
- This is effective particularly for patients with less than a C cup breast size, or for patients whose breasts have been severely damaged by radiation.
- The TDAP Flap is best for patients who:
- Have had radiation-induced shrinkage, ulceration or tissue hardening
- have less than C cup breast size
- will have more than 25% of the breast volume removed
- do not have droopy or pendulous breasts
- want to maintain the original size of their breasts
Implant Reconstruction is the most popular option owing to the ease of recovery and simplicity of surgery; however, implant reconstruction often is not a good option due to scar tissue problems caused by prior breast radiation.
DIEP Flap Reconstruction is the gold standard in tissue reconstruction after mastectomy with the results of Abdominoplasty as a benefit.
- Oncoplasty is best for patients who have large breasts (C cup or greater) and who desire a Breast Reduction and Lift.
Breast reconstruction is safe and is performed under general anesthesia and a short hospitalization is standard for most reconstructive procedures.
Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery in the top hospitals in the Washington DC and northern Virginia area.
BEFORE + AFTER
Dr. Rad employs the TDAP Flap for women who need healthy tissue added to their breasts in order to heal severe radiation damage and/or improve breast symmetry. This 52 year old woman had been a cancer survivor for many years following lumpectomy and radiation therapy. She developed a suspicious spot on mammogram that required a biopsy. Due to severe radiation she developed an open, raw and very painful ulcer that would not heal after 6 months. Radiation had also caused her entire breast to shrink resulting in severe asymmetry and her clothes fit poorly. When she first met Dr. Rad, she wanted the least invasive solution to these problems, and the TDAP Flap was the perfect solution.
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.