Breast Implants: Round Silicone in Washington DC
- Implants are the most popular choice for breast reconstruction: surgery is simple and recovery time is the lowest.
- FDA-approved silicone gel implants are safe and do not have the risk of leakage.
- Round silicone implants are tried and true for implant-based reconstruction and there is no risk of implant rotation or malposition.
Dr. Rad uses only silicone implants for implant-based breast reconstruction due to superiority of feel and appearance when compared with saline (water-filled) implants
The ideal candidate for round implant breast reconstruction:
is not a good candidate for tissue reconstruction (DIEP Flap, LSGAP Love Handle Flap)
has adequate tissue thickness to cover an implant
desires more upper breast fullness
has not had, and does not need, breast radiation
- Patients who prefer less upper breast fullness benefit from Teardrop Implants which are shaped like a breast.
- Patients who have extra fat deposits and/or have had breast radiation benefit more from tissue reconstruction (DIEP Flap, LSGAP Love Handle Flap) due to the potential complications (capsular contracture and wound healing problems) which are associated with implants in the setting of radiation.
How It’s Done
- For patients who have elected a mastectomy, Dr. Rad performs the first stage of reconstruction (placement of a tissue expander or permanent implant) concurrent with the breast cancer surgeon’s operation.
In the second stage, the tissue expander is removed and round silicone implant(s) is/are placed. This is a much easier surgery from which to recover compared to the first stage.
- Breast reconstruction surgery is done under general anesthesia.
- Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery in the Washington DC and Northern Virginia area.
- An overnight stay is required for first stage (mastectomy and placement of implants) surgery, whereas second stage surgery (removal of tissue expander and placement of silicone implant) is done as an outpatient.
What to Expect
- Mild to moderate discomfort is common and is easily controlled with pain medications.
- Recovery is just a few days, and 2 weeks to unrestricted exercise.
BEFORE + AFTER
Dr. Rad uses silicone (not saline) for implant reconstruction. Implants are FDA-approved and are ideal for patients who want the least amount of surgery and who do not need radiation treatment.
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.