One Side DIEP in Washington DC
The DIEP flap is ideal for one-sided reconstruction for both nipple-sparing and non-nipple sparing mastectomy.
An inframammary (under fold) scar placement is ideal to hide the evidence of mastectomy.
Dr. Rad endeavors to render the scar invisible and patients can appear never to have had surgery.
- In Dr. Rad’s hands, the DIEP Flap is the perfect option for patients who:
- have plentiful abdominal fat
- do not want, or can not have (due to radiation treatment), implant reconstruction
- want their breasts to be rebuilt with their own healthy tissue
- want to be finished with surgery forever (this cannot be said for implant reconstruction)
- Implant Reconstruction is the most popular option owing to the ease of recovery and simplicity of surgery; however, implant reconstruction often is not a good option due to scar tissue problems caused by prior breast radiation.
- LSGAP “Love Handle” Flap Reconstruction borrows love handle fat and is the most complex breast reconstructive operation in existence; Dr. Rad is 1 of only 30 microvascular surgeons worldwide who is able to perform it.
How It’s Done
- Dr. Rad often performs either immediate reconstruction (DIEP flap at the time of the mastectomy) or staged reconstruction (a Tissue Expander is placed at the time of the mastectomy, and then the DIEP flap is performed as a second stage).
Breast reconstruction is safe and is performed under general anesthesia and a short hospitalization is standard for most reconstructive procedures.
Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery in the top hospitals in the Washington DC and northern Virginia area.
BEFORE + AFTER
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns.
*SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.