Lumpectomy Reconstruction in Washington DC
Lumpectomy (also known as ‘partial mastectomy’) without reconstruction can result in distortion, indentation and asymmetry.
Dr. Rad works closely with your breast surgeon to prevent or correct these potential problems. Through reconstructive techniques that blend technique and artistry, Dr. Rad is able to correct indentations, restore breast symmetry, elevate the nipples to the center of the breasts, and reduce, lift or augment a woman’s breasts.
Oncoplasty is a powerful breast lift technique that involves reshaping the remaining breast tissue following lumpectomy surgery. This is effective for women with C cup size breasts or larger.
- The TDAP Flap is a unique operation in which Dr. Rad borrows skin and fat from the back and transfers it to a woman’s breast in order to reconstruct medium to large lumpectomy defects. This is effective particularly for patients with less than a C cup breast size, or for patients whose breasts have been severely damaged by radiation.
- Implant Reconstruction is the most popular option owing to the ease of recovery and simplicity of surgery; however, implant reconstruction often is not a good option due to scar tissue problems caused by prior breast radiation.
- DIEP Flap Reconstruction is the gold standard in tissue reconstruction after mastectomy with the results of Abdominoplasty as a benefit.
Which Option is Best?
- Oncoplasty is best for patients who:
- are good candidates for lumpectomy cancer surgery
- have C cup breast size or larger
- will have less than 25% of the breast volume removed
- have droopy or pendulous breasts
- desire reduction in breast size
- The TDAP Flap is best for patients who:
- Have had radiation-induced shrinkage, ulceration or tissue hardening
- have less than C cup breast size
- will have more than 25% of the breast volume removed
- do not have droopy or pendulous breasts
- want to maintain the original size of their breasts
Breast reconstruction is safe and is performed under general anesthesia and a short hospitalization is standard for most reconstructive procedures.
Dr. Rad works with a board certified anesthesiologist and performs surgery in the top hospitals in the Washington DC and northern Virginia area.
BEFORE + AFTER
Photos are of patients who have given explicit written agreement to have them displayed. For patient privacy reasons, the majority of Dr. Rad’s patients prefer their before/after photos to remain off-line. However, Dr. Rad will be happy to show you, in the setting of a confidential consultation, a series of before/after photos, not displayed here, to address your specific concerns. SHERBER+RAD cannot guarantee specific results. Individual results may vary.